[Coco] CoCo 1 troubles

Salvador Garcia salvadorgarciav at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 24 12:54:16 EST 2020

 Thanks Chris!

The cable and floppy drive are stock Radio Shack, part number 26-3022.

You are correct, the cable's drive connectors have missing teeth :-).

I moved the A/B MX jumper from B to A and the results were odd at best:

a. The LED does not turn on, ever
b. When I use DSKINI or DIR, regardless to which connector the drive is connected to, the motor spins up and the heads move. Using DSKINI it steps through the tracks, seeks then gives IO Error, all while the LED remains off

I returned the jumper to its original position. This setup was working as is, 27 years ago.  I don't think it is a configuration issue. Basically, I have four components: Disk drive, cable, controller, and media. One of these is the issue. I just need to narrow it down. Plus, as I mention in another reply, I suspect that I may have more than one problem.

Best wishes to you Chris! Good to hear from you! Salvador

    El miércoles, 23 de diciembre de 2020 08:39:43 p. m. CST, Christopher R. Hawks <chawks at dls.net> escribió:

 On Wed, 23 Dec 2020 20:08:07 -0500
Arthur Flexser <flexser at fiu.edu> wrote:

> If the drive is regarded as Drive 1 as you have it currently
> connected, it seems like it should be regarded as Drive 0 if you plug
> it into the other drive connector on the cable.
>
> Art

[snippity]

    I believe Salvador said that the drive didn't work plugged in the
to the other connector.

    If he has a R/S cable with missing teeth and a non R/S drive, he'll
need to set the drive to be Drive 0 as well as move to the other
connector. Likely the 'A/B MX' jumper he mentioned that's currently set
to 'B'.

Christopher R. Hawks
HAWKSoft
--
Something Went Wrong in Jet Crash, Expert Says
Really? Ya' think?