[Coco] FCC to Require Email Addresses on Applications

Robert "Exile In Paradise" Murphey exile at weylan-yutani.com
Fri Dec 4 11:37:45 EST 2020

FCC to Require Email Addresses on Applications
12/02/2020

Amateur radio licensees and candidates will have to provide the FCC
with an email address on applications, effective sometime in mid-2021.

If no email address is included, the FCC may dismiss the application as
defective.

The FCC is fully transitioning to electronic correspondence and will no
longer print or provide wireless licensees with hard-copy
authorizations or registrations by mail.

A Report and Order (R&O) on “Completing the Transition to Electronic
Filing, Licenses and Authorizations, and Correspondence in the Wireless
Radio Services” in WT Docket 19-212 was adopted on September 16.

The new rules will go into effect 6 months after publication in the
Federal Register, which hasn’t happened yet, but the FCC is already
strongly encouraging applicants to provide an email address. When an
email address is provided, licensees will receive an official
electronic copy of their licenses when the application is granted.

Under Section 97.21 of the new rules, a person holding a valid amateur
station license “must apply to the FCC for a modification of the
license grant as necessary to show the correct mailing and email
address, licensee name, club name, license trustee name, or license
custodian name.”

For a club or military recreation station license, the application must
be presented in document form to a club station call sign administrator
who must submit the information to the FCC in an electronic batch file.

Under new Section 97.23, each license will have to show the grantee's
correct name, mailing address, and email address. “The email address
must be an address where the grantee can receive electronic
correspondence,” the amended rule will state.

“Revocation of the station license or suspension of the operator
license may result when correspondence from the FCC is returned as
undeliverable because the grantee failed to provide the correct email
address.”

http://www.arrl.org/news/fcc-to-require-email-addresses-on-applications

Personal addendum...

Bear in mind:
* license information is publicly available so
* this email address which you MUST provide AND keep current
* OR you can lose your license will also be
* irrevocably published on the internet
* on the same page as your home/station address

Imagine that - you can "dox" yourself on the net now even worse than
the FCC already does.

Yes, I will be creating a spam-trap/burner email address JUST for this
which has nothing to do with any other email address I may have ever
used to sign up for any other service ever.

Should we take bets on how much spam these will get even if they are
only ever used for this one government-imposed requirement? Those
records will be harvested to email spam lists the instant the FCC posts
them.

To ice this <censored>-cake, we already pay for the postal service they
now won't use, and now require access through ANOTHER service we have
to pay extra for?

Thanks for the headaches, Uncle Sam.

At least I already have an email
address - what about folks who don't yet have one? Can you get an FCC-
compliant email through your library?

Just what radio needed, an
annoying additional barrier to entry.
--