[Coco] Orchestra90 module for nitros9

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Sat Apr 11 05:22:35 EDT 2020

Doug, like yourself, I seem to remember an Orch90 player for OS-9. I may be mistaken, but I thought it was a command line player in which you typed in few options and the orch90 score filename, and it would load & play the file (much like "mus09 for Musica files).
That being said, I have never found any trace of such a file since and I have looked through every Coco archive that's appeared through the years. I never found it on my 200+ disks when I transferred them to disk images, though there were MANY that were unreadable or destroyed.

Now, one could take the source to Orch90, locate the player portion, isolate all the needed routines, and write a player for Orch90 and NitrOS9. I have actually tried a couple of times, but the "SCORE" command must be included to score the file before playing and that's the part that get's me. The player is easy as Orch90 decides if it needs fast or slow play and copies the proper play routine into lower ram (below the music score) and does a JSR to it. But it must score the file first which turns the simple text music code into a playable wave table file.
The problem with "SCORE" is it jumps all over the place and is not a "self contained" subroutine.

Since Orch90 is only an 8k rom, one could probably take the original rom source and make an OS-9 app from it, but it would have to be converted to PIC and that's a PITA! There's also much code for there for cass/disk access, screen display, and telecommunications (yes, Orch90 has a built in comm app). It's really a big task and would take some time.

So Doug, if you run across that file... send me a copy :-)
Bill P.