[Coco] Using a coco modem with VOIP

Rod Barnhart rod.barnhart at gmail.com
Mon Nov 11 18:02:45 EST 2019

I'll spare you the theory and lesson on codecs and jump to my real-world
experiences ;)

I used to have Time Warner Cable's "digital home phone" voip solution and
it worked fairly solid. Being on a private network instead of having the
traffic on the Internet probably made a huge difference. No clue what
codecs they use internally, but I regularly got a 53K connection to a BBS I
was a member of that still had pots lines, from a notebook that had a
Lucent WinModem built in. I did zero tweaking of the init string to get
that connection. I simply fired up a terminal program, set it to the proper
comm port, and dialed.

I got rid of that service because I didn't use it enough to justify the
cost, and picked up an Obihai OBI200, as it supports Google Voice, and I've
had an account forever ;) I no longer have the notebook with the WinModem
in it, so I thought I'd load Telix up on one of my Tandy 1000SX's. It
connected at 1200bps to the same BBS, but, to be fair, I can't remember
which of my SX's has a 1200bps and which has a 2400bps modem ;) The
connection was still fairly solid.

Back in the day, when Vonage was still new and most people had not gotten
rid of their pots lines yet, I used Vonage with the Cisco ATA they provided
with dial-up BBSes. Anything up to 9600bps seemed to be fairly reliable,
and it got less reliable as you went higher from there.

I have not tried Magic Jack, though I've considered picking one up just to
see what results I can get from it.

Rod