[Coco] Ham Radio for the CoCo

Stephen Fischer SFischer1 at Mindspring.com
Fri Mar 23 18:34:50 EDT 2018

Here in the San Francisco Bay area TV Weather has come full circle.

Two TV stations have put up their own Doppler Radars and a third TV
station has one on a truck they can drive around.

The fourth, the leader in News and Weather local station responded with
their Radar maps having numerous weather sweeps that could not be
contributing.

One of the useful sweeps comes and goes and none match the sweeps done
by the radars.

What has changed is that the forecast the Weatherman and the Weather
Consultants use is mostly graphic now and the transition from Radar to
Forecast is sometimes hard to tell and the Weatherman often misses his
statement when the switch has occurred.

So, while the station has two of the most experienced weathermen with
long on air times, their replacements will not have that experience and
just will look at the "Green" on the forecast. Anyone who is not color
blind can be a weather forecaster now.

I did not like the switch at the time and what is displayed but not
stated is both Radar and Satellite data appears at the same time.

They now have wind speed, Water Vapor and lots of displays that look
great and the ability to generate maps that showed why the rain was so
bad down in Santa Barbara. Any why Santa Rosa was hit by a blowtorch
formed by topology.

Coastal fog is shown on the Radar but actually is a very small
temperature difference seen by a Satellite.

The main weatherman for the biggest station at the time long ago said
starting tomorrow they will not be caught unaware of upcoming weather
when the satellite was activated. What happened very quickly was mother
nature forming a weather front, dropping rain on San Francisco and
disappearing.

SHF

On 3/23/2018 2:25 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:

> I had the coco2 wefax running at the tv station for about a month. but
> the weather folks we had were only doing rip and read & from ap/upi, and
> had little or no interest in the maps I gave them, so that project got
> retired. I'm not sure if the service is even on the air anymore, and I
> don't have an rx for it anyway.

Yes it is but I keep forgetting to turn my communications receiver on to
confirm for my self. Actually it sounds like it is on right now.