[Coco] Coco3 GIF viewer demonstrated

Allen Huffman alsplace at pobox.com
Mon Mar 5 10:36:58 EST 2018

On Mar 5, 2018, at 8:52 AM, John W. Linville <linville at tuxdriver.com> wrote:

> And there was virtually no argument about it for 20+ years. In fact,
> using the 'hard G' pronunciation was a mark of a complete n00b for
> most in the BBS/Internet world.
>
> Then some self-important hipster types rediscovered the format
> and adopted it for its ability to show animations. Shockingly, the
> coffee swilling bearded ones couldn't be bothered to learn how to
> pronounce it...

It was always hard G everywhere I heard it said, back then and I agreed with that because it was hard-G like graphics. Since the original spec, which a friend of mine used to write an Amiga viewer of the format, didn’t specify, I always went with the logical G for Graphics.

But a few years ago, there was a "newsbit" where someone asked the guy who made the format, and he said J. And it's been Jif to me ever since...

Now, Linux i always heard as "line-ex" in the pre-internet audio and video days. I would have called in Lin-ex, but I was always told "oh, no, the guy who made it is named Linus, so it’s like that." But that also sounds Linus is pronounced like the Peanuts character.

Once you hear how other regions pronounce it, we need someone of authority to explain. We have that with Linux and GIF, so those debates should be over.