[Coco] A NON-COCO related question??????????

Jay Coleman jeremiah.l.coleman at gmail.com
Wed Jul 4 12:10:07 EDT 2018

If there's a Batteries Plus or something similar in your area, often they can replace the cells a little less expensively than a factory replacement.  The $25 Amazon or Ebay  batteries are either very poorly made or they're refreshed used cells, typically have half the advertised capacity or worse, and the best I've seen lasted a year (quality new cells would literally cost more than that wholesale).  That may meet your needs, but I find it isn't worth the hassle.  Unfortunately though, pretty much any rechargeable battery has a useful life of 3-5 years at most.  It's telling that the warranties are typically 30-90 days.

If you don't actually need the portability, but do need the outage protection, then a lower end UPS (500-750 VA) may be a solution.  The batteries for those are normally standardized lead-acid sizes and easily replaceable (iirc ~$30-40 for that size, but its been a while).  These units are really intended to give you enough time to save and shutdown cleanly, but I get about 2 hours for my cable modem and high end wifi router.   And it has the advantage of being compatible with any computer :)  I've found APC and Tripp-Lite are the best quality.  For the two CyberPower units I've tried, the charging circuits failed around 3-4 years in.

You may have to uninstall the battery management software in safe mode to go that route, as some will shut the system down if they detect a bad or missing battery.  I can never remember the safe mode key, (I think F8, start tapping the moment the BIOS screen goes off) but it's easily found on google.

Good luck,
Jay