[Coco] GIME DRAM address mappings

Dave Philipsen dave at davebiz.com
Thu Sep 28 11:29:35 EDT 2017

I don’t see anything in the manual that describes exactly how the GIME maps out the row and column addresses to the DRAMs. And in most cases it would be fairly unimportant.  I’m assuming Jim was just noting his findings as a point of interest.

Most engineers will align A0->A0, A1->A1, etc. but it technically doesn’t matter which virtual address line goes to which physical memory address line as long as all different combinations produce all unique address locations in memory. The only reason I can think of for any concern over the matter would be if the refreshing method of the DRAM specifies a particular methodology.

So, Jim, if I understand correctly you are creating a 2MB memory expansion that will use the upper 2 unused bits in the MMU registers to access the entire 2MB, right?  Will your board use SRAM or DRAM?

Dave