[Coco] OS-9 C Compiler

James Jones jejones3141 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 21 09:49:59 EDT 2017

The reason for the two versions is to avoid running out of RAM on Level
One--the compiler proper (i.e. what takes the preprocessed source and spits
out assembler) is split into two programs (it means more I/O to a temporary
file, but it runs). The Level Two version puts it in one program. (Be glad
it's just two; Gries in _Compiler Construction for Digital Computers_ tells
of an Algol 60 compiler that made something like ten passes!)

I don't believe Radio Shack ever sold the Level Two version; were I a
betting man, I'd say RS decided not to bother because the Level One version
would work on Level Two.

James