[Coco] Desoldering tools

Richard Lorbieski rlorbieski at gmail.com
Thu Oct 19 14:57:29 EDT 2017

I have a PACE MBT 250 at home and at work. I find it faster to vacuum out a IC faster than to "cut and braid" or use a manual solder sucker.
But I also solder and repair electronics for a living and have 36 years of practical (paid) soldering experience.

I can de-solder a 40 pin CPU in under 5 mins and save the old chip. Steve Strowbridge and Grant Leighty video taped me at Tandy Assembly doing 6309 upgrades.

I use 3 soldering tips - the chisel is my preferred general purpose, the wide half moon bevel is for large parts, and fine tip to poke holes in stubborn solder that can't be removed with a vacuum or sucker.

Sometimes I apply new solder on old solder joints. It makes it easier to remove certain solder points.

I also use nail polish remover (acetone) and isopropyl alcohol to remove the excess flux.

CoCo tip: If you are adding a socket or replacing components. ALWAYS clip the leads. In rare cases, it's possible for a sharp lead to puncture the RF shield and cause a short.