[Coco] I've killed my CoCo3

Zippster zippster278 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 19 08:39:14 EDT 2017

Hi Paul,

I’m sorry it went that way.  I still consider the clip and and desoldering braid the safest way,
but it is pretty important to have a soldering station where you can control the temp, and using
a proper tip for the iron.  A ‘drag soldering’ type tip, basically a straight cylinder with the end cut
at an angle is best (for applying heat to the braid), a chisel tip probably second best.  Having a
flat surface at the tip allows for faster more accurate heat transfer to the pad and solder without
excessively heating the board material.  I find the common round pencil style tips to be one of the least
suitable for anything.  I use a chisel or drag type for everything.  Of course that’s just my opinion and
everyone has their own way of doing things.

All that said, it’s possible the board was degraded or just not up to par in some way which
helped it fall apart on you.  It can happen.

If you want, you can send the board to me, I’m certain I can patch it up for you.  No charge, just
take care of the shipping.  Unless someone has a motherboard with a dead GIME out there.

- Ed