[Coco] what kind of drives are these?

Barry Nelson barry.nelson at amobiledevice.com
Tue Oct 17 19:28:53 EDT 2017

> Gene Heskett
> Tue Oct 17 19:15:19 EDT 2017
>
> Not sure of the brand, but from the cable arrangement, its an "MFM"
> drive, possibly with RLL encoding.  Max capacity would be 32 megabytes
> if RLL, or just over 20 without. The controller I haven't seen before
> but looks as if it has 2 expansion slots sticking up on the left end.
> The only mfm drive I had was a seagate st-238, and I drove it with one
> of the very early B&B interfaces, totally different from the controller
> in these pix. Before powering it up, locate a rubber hammer, and if you
> don't hear it winding up within a second of power up, give the drive
> case a gentle tap on a front corner so as to bump it sideways, which may
> be enough to free stuck heads from the effects of stiction, which may be
> holding the platters from spinning up.

Sorry, Gene, but I disagree. I do not see any MFM or RLL drives in the photos that I noticed. I saw an IDE drive attached to a Glenside IDE controller and two unidentified white floppy drives. Rietveld, if you take the cover off the floppy drives, you might be able to see the individual floppy drive make and model information marked somewhere on the drives. If you could post that it might help identify what type of drives they are.