[Coco] A New CoCo Forum, just what we need?

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Mon Oct 16 23:37:19 EDT 2017

On Monday 16 October 2017 23:13:43 Zippster wrote:

> And thank you Dennis for having this email list for us.
> It’s really the core of the CoCo community online.  :)
>
> It’s very appreciated!

+10. Dennis has been running one of the best listservers ever since it
came online in late 2003.

Anyone who wants to rescue something yahoo has killed, really needs to
look at the bigger picture.  I am, because of my interests, on a yahoo
list or 3, and most of the traffic recently has been people making a
post, and then asking a few days later if anyone else on the list rx'd
that post, and 1/2 of the list pipes up and says no. The other half
probably said it too, but their posts never went through...

Right now I'd be willing to bet that post to list counts vs went to list
counts on any yahoo list are well below 50% actually delivered, and the
transit times, which should be in seconds, are often in day+ ranges.

Oh, and they can't keep a passwd valid for more than a day.

And Marissa wonders why the place is losing clientell?  Self inflicted.

> - Ed
>
> > On Oct 16, 2017, at 8:51 PM, Dennis Bathory-Kitsz
> > <bathory at maltedmedia.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, October 16, 2017 4:29 pm, Bill Loguidice wrote:
> >> Even something like this mailing
> >> list is a dying breed, but certainly thriving enough with this
> >> particular audience (and similar communities) to probably keep
> >> running indefinitely.
> >
> > You're right that it's a dying breed, but I'm a member of a dozen
> > lists where professional gather.
> >
> > That's us. Even with deaths and departures, our membership has
> > slowly grown (now at 563) since this list began 14 years ago on
> > October 6, 2003, as the successor to the spam-ravaged Princeton
> > list.
> >
> > Who knows how long it will continue. If it is still needed (and I'm
> > still alive!), it will go on.
> >
> > Dennis

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)