[Coco] CoCo Flash

Ed Orbea ed.orbea at gmail.com
Sat Oct 14 17:39:15 EDT 2017

I’m have encountered an obstacle on my CoCoFlash.

I have been able to successfully load all the less that 32k ROM images.

Now when I start working on the 32 (and larger images) things ‘just
don’t work’

Using Arkanoid as an example.
1) I download the 32k version from the Color Compuer File Archive
2) I remade the file so that the name is no longer that 8 characters
(Arkanoid.ccc)
3) I use the WInimage tool to copy the file onto a DSK file (35 try, ss)
4) I copy the DSK file to my SDC card
5) I have the CoCoSDC in slot 4, the CoCoFlash in slot 1, and the MPI
selector switch in set to slot 4
6) power on the devices (CoCo, MPI, monitor) in the correct order
7) Set Drive 0 to point to the PRGFLASH.DSK (DRIVE 0,”PRGFLASH.DSK)
8) Set Drive 1 to point to the DSK with Arkanoid.ccc on it (Drive 1,
“10A.DSK)
9) Run SPLIT.BAS from the PRGFLASK disk
10) This results in Arkanoid.000 and Arkanoid.001
11) Rename Arkanoid.000 to Arka01.000
12) Rename Arkanoid.001 to Arka02.001
13) Run CONV2BIN.BAS on Arka01.000 resulting in a bin file names Arka01.bin
14) Run CONV2BIN.BAS on Arka02.001 resulting in a bin file names Arka02.bin
15) Run PRGFLASH.BAS to flask Ark02.bin and the do the same for Ark01.bin
16) Load MENU.BAS
17) Create the new program line; 10011 DATA “ARKANOID”, 189,34
18) 189 is the starting block identified by PRGFLASH.BAS for file Ark02.bin
19) Save MENU.BAS
20) Type in RUN 60000
21) Run PRGFLASH.BAS using BASROM.bin and flashing it into blocks 0 and
1 (the bin file is 5k long, but I tell PRGFLASH to treat it as an 8k file)
22) Power off all equipment
23) Set the MPI selector to slot 1
24) Power one all equipment
25) Use the CoCo Flash menu to select ARKANOID

Then the system just displays a green screen with occasional raster
lines. Only a cold boot will restore the system.

The system is a CoCo3, 512k memory, modified MPI.

Any thoughts from the group?