[Coco] Tandy Assembly Exhibit: CocoMEM

David Ladd davidwladd at gmail.com
Thu Oct 5 03:15:15 EDT 2017

On Thu, Oct 5, 2017 at 1:18 AM, Richard Goedeken <
Richard at fascinationsoftware.com> wrote:

> It's not a big deal if you get a PLCC puller tool. It looks like it can be
> done with just a small screwdriver, but it's easy to crack the socket
> applying
> leverage in this way. I don't know how strong the PLCC socket for the GIME
> in
> the Coco 3 is (I don't think I've ever broken one), or how tightly the chip
> fits in the socket, but I've broken the socket on other boards while
> trying to
> remove the chip without the proper tool.

​Actually the socket is easy to break.  That is why you should use a PLCC
puller.  Back in 88 I bought one so I could use it to replace my 86 GIME
with a 87 GIME.  I wasn't risking breaking the socket even back then. :)​

> Richard
>

> On 10/04/2017 10:42 PM, Sean wrote:
> > Sounds awesome but somewhat scary... I don't know if I'd ever be
> > comfortable removing/re-seating the GIME!

​

| David Ladd a.k.a. PacoOtaktay a.k.a. Drencor                          |
| YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/PacoOtaktay                      |
| YouTube Gaming Live: https://gaming.youtube.com/user/PacoOtaktay/live |
| Websites: http://dwladd.com     &     http://www.theterrorzone.com    |
| G+:  https://plus.google.com/113262444659438038657                    |
| G+:  https://plus.google.com/+DavidLaddPacoOtaktay                    |
| Do you have your CoCo 3 yet?                                          |