[Coco] Coco1 and IDE HD power

Salvador Garcia salvadorgarciav at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 2 10:15:07 EDT 2017

 Hi Rietveld!
"Why does the drive need both 5 and 12v."
https://arduino.stackexchange.com/questions/28815/do-i-need-to-supply-the-12v-connection-to-an-hdd

Note that the voltage requirements vary depending on the drive. I have an external drive that happily runs off the USB connector (5v, 500 mA).
"And I assume that the computer power supply converts from ac to DC?"

Yes, that  is correct, but keep in mind that the connection chain for the computer's power supply is typically AC outlet, transformer, rectifier regulator electronics.
By contrast, when the device has a jack for an external power supply, it may require either AC or DC. If AC then it is usually around 10 - 20 v. If DC, it is usually 9 or 12 v. You need to know whether the computer's power-in jack expects AC or DC and the voltage level. If your device expects 12v DC and you plug in an adapter that outputs 16v AC, for sure you'll blow something up. I should know, I am an expert blowing things up :-).
Regards, Salvador