[Coco] 1.2Mb floppy drives

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Tue Mar 7 21:08:33 EST 2017

On Tuesday 07 March 2017 18:05:16 Darren A wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 7, 2017 at 3:04 PM, Bruce W. Calkins wrote:
> > I have the how to somewhere on file too.
> >
> > I spent some time looking for parts years ago with no success.
> >
> > Bruce W.
> >
> > On 03/07/2017 04:28 PM, Kip Koon wrote:
> >> Hi Bruce, Bill, et. all,
> >> I believe I have a copy of that hack or at least have seen it
> >> before. I'll have to look around and see what I can find.  I have
> >> 1.2MB drives I would also like to use on the Cocos.
> >>
> >> Kip Koon
>
> The 2nd generation Tandy controller (26-3029) may be easier to modify
> for high-density than the original 12 volt controller.
>
> http://www.cocopedia.com/wiki/index.php/26-3029_CoCo_Disk_Controller_H
>igh_Density_Modifications

Not if it used the 1773, its too slow.  But the 40 pin, cmos tech Fujitsu
MB-8877 is a 40 pinner directly interchangeable with the 1793. I had,
might still have a controller with that chip in it, and always wondered
if that hack would work with that chip, but I ran out of round tuit's
while in my amiga phase.

> - Darren

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)