[Coco] 8 slot multi pak

Dave Philipsen dave at davebiz.com
Thu Jan 19 11:41:06 EST 2017

Actually, that would be fun.  From time to time some of the characters
have been sold on eBay.  Back in the 80s Chuck E. Cheese's went bankrupt
and was bought out by Showbiz Pizza Place. They eventually transformed
all of their characters into the CEC characters but there are some of
the old SPP characters out there too.  All of the characters had
pneumatic cylinders controlled by 24vdc valves for the movements so you
might need a sizeable compressor depending on how many characters you
wanted to run (the original SPP show named 'Rock-A-Fire Explosion' used
a huge Ingersoll-Rand air compressor that ran on 208 3-phase.)

But if anyone (in the CoCo community) ever did decide to buy an old
robot and wanted to get a small system set up I'd be glad to help you
with it.  I wrote their animation programming system (a DOS program
written in C) many years ago but it works well and CEC still uses it to
this day.  Interestingly, their systems over the years used a
data-on-tape method for playback on reel-to-reel tape decks that used
biphase data which lends itself well to recording on analog media.
Probably not that much different than the method used to save data with
the CLOAD/CSAVE commands.  Most of their systems phased that out in
favor of solid-state data storage but there are still about 100
locations that still use the old method with audio being played back
from one of the stereo tracks on a DVD player.

Interestingly, just yesterday, I finished a program (I still do
consulting for them) that replaces the functionality of an antiquated PC
they were using with a modified serial card used to generate the biphase
data that was to be recorded to tape.  The program synthesizes the same
data by generating it as PCM data in a wav file.  As you can imagine,
being primarily a restaurant company, their technical expertise is not
really on the cutting edge and has steadily declined over the years.  So
they still have a lot of old technology that needs maintenance.

Dave