[Coco] building a new disk image

Bill Gunshannon bill.gunshannon at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 6 10:48:27 EST 2017

On 1/6/17 9:44 AM, Robert Gault wrote:
> Bill Gunshannon wrote:
>>
>> OK, I have a COCO2 working, booting from Drivewire.
>> I would like to get systems working from my various hard
>> disk systems.  So, I have tried building new systems using
>> the scripts and boot lists provided. I assumed the mb.dw
>> and dw.bl were the one's used to actually build what I am
>> running from but, apparently not.  When I build a new system
>> using the script I end out with an image that does not boot
>> and whats more, doesn't look anything like the system I am
>> starting with.  Am I missing something simple?
>>
>> bill
>>

> Bill,
>
> If Bill Pierce has not already answered your question, you first need to
> decide where your various disks will be mounted and where you want
> NitrOS-9 to reside. For example, if you a Coco3 with a hard drive, want
> NitrOS-9 to be on that hard drive, but want to read Drivewire disks from
> both Basic and NitrOS-9, you would need the following:
> 1)disk ROM = HDBDOS for DW   this permits reading Basic disks on DW from
> Basic
> 2)The boot module in the NitrOS-9 kernel must work with your hard drive
> 3)OS9Boot must contain all the drivers required to permit access to
> Drivewire
>
> Since there are a very large number of combinations of systems (MESS,
> VCC, Coco RGBDOS/HDBDOS drives, CocoSDC, Roger Taylor's uSDPAK are just
> some) there is no way to tell you what your optimum setup should be. You
> must describe in detail exactly what you want to do.
> Don't worry about providing too much information as that can't happen!

Bill has been in contact with me and confirmed what I thought.
My problem wasn't the bootlist.  Even the default one didn't work.
It's the build script which is broken.  So I could either go back
to doing the old fashioned way and build them by hand or try to fix
the scripts so at least some of it can be automated.  If I have any' uck
fixing the scripts I will let people know as I am sure there are
others trying (and failing) at the same things I am doing.

Most people would probably get discouraged when things go wrong, but I
always thought all this playing around was the fun part of it.  If I
wanted it to work right out of the box I would be running linux.  :-)

bill