[Coco] Back to the COCO

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Sun Jan 1 17:03:01 EST 2017

Bill, sounds like dirty or misalligned heads as the drive seems to be looking for track 0. I would bet dirty since you tried multiple drives. Keep in mind, not only has your system been setting, but so have the disks. I had close to 200 disks and they had set for about 15 years. When I tried to read them, the drive head would immediately collect "residue" on it (black mylar dust, and sometimes mildew). I ended up cleaning the heads after every disk copy (90% alcohol & cotton swabs) and sometimes after just a couple of file copies, after which most of the disks were no longer readable. I was able to copy about 75% of my content but it was a one-time thing.  I had some disks that were flooded and under water after hurricane floyd (1999), some that were in a storage building with no heat/air, but dry, and some that were in my closet (basically, climate controlled). Oddly, the flooded disks almost all read after a little cleaning, most of the ones from storage would read. The ones in my closet gave me the most trouble and were the most unreliable.
 Also, try reseatiung the GIME chip. This helps in a lot of cases for a lot of problems. Reseat any socketed chips, cleaning the pins and sockets as best you can.

Bill Pierce

Co-Contributor, Co-Editor for CocoPedia
http://www.tandycoco.com/forum/

E-Mail: ooogalapasooo at aol.com