[Coco] Troubleshooting CoCo 3

Bill Gunshannon bill.gunshannon at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 30 08:45:12 EDT 2017

From: Coco [coco-bounces at maltedmedia.com] on behalf of camillus gmail [camillus.b.58 at gmail.com]
Sent: Sunday, April 30, 2017 12:12 AM
To: Bill via Coco
Subject: Re: [Coco] Troubleshooting CoCo 3

Salvador, you tested the power supply, but did you test the 5V from the transistor ( the one with the big cooling ), you should have about +12 Volt in and +5 Volt out. If that is not the case then the SALT chip is failing. To test this you can temporary take out the transistor and take out also the connection to the transformer. Apply +5 Volt to the 2 Watt resistor next to the salt chip ( a big resistor ) at the side where it connects to the capacitor, underneath. The coco should boot now, regardless of the power switch, and you will see right away if the screens boots normal.
If something is not clear then pls feel free to send me a mail,
camillus.b.58<@>gmail.com. Take out the <> for my real email.

I can offer you the service to take out the cpu and insert a socket. I can do this without killing the cpu. You do have to send me the board though. And I do this completely free, as I like to do this kind of repairs.

I can offer an endorsement for the work he does.  I now have two wroking
COCO3's that went across his bench.

bill