[Coco] Cocoflash menu size limitations?

Rietveld Rietveld rietveldh at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 28 17:09:00 EDT 2017

Perfect. Thanks again

,
  Original Message
From: RETRO Innovations
Sent: Friday, April 28, 2017 4:57 PM
To: CoCoList for Color Computer Enthusiasts
Subject: Re: [Coco] Cocoflash menu size limitations?

On 4/28/2017 3:48 PM, Rietveld Rietveld wrote:
> Thanks. I suspected that the additional offset would be an option. I guess the only downside is that u would loose the content already flashed to those blocks. Maybe it would be smart for new owners to allocate these blocks from the get go
It would be very easy to write a small app that does this:

  * find the app at offset 2.
  * copy it to the end of the used space, and update the offset for the
    menu item
  * See if it was 4kB
  * If so, move the app at offset 3 (since you're looking to free up
    8kB, and each slot is 4kB)
  * Done

You can also write an app to

  * find the last 64kB FLASH block in use, and copy it to
    FLASH_BLOCk_MAX + 1
  * erase FLASH_BLOCK_MAX
  * copy FLASH_BLOCK_MAX-1 to FLASH_BLOCK_MAX
  * repeat until all memory is copied, but leave the first 8kB FLASH
    block un-erased.
  * update offsets, by adding 16 to each one

Jim