[Coco] Cocoflash menu size limitations?

RETRO Innovations go4retro at go4retro.com
Fri Apr 28 16:43:40 EDT 2017

On 4/28/2017 2:28 PM, Rietveld Rietveld wrote:

> I noticed that the first 2 blocks of the flash are reserved for the menu. Blocks 0 and 1 provide storage for 8192 bytes. The base menu is tightly written and weighs in at around 3072 fitting neatly in block 0; but as the program pak description increases so does the space needed for the menu. With only 100 blocks or 409600 bytes used my menu is already over 5120 bytes only leaving 3072 bytes of description despite still having 95 percent of the flashs memory available for storage

A couple items:

  * There is no magic to the 2 block offset.  With a bit of minor BASIC
    editing, one could start the programs at offset 4 or 8.
  * The unit also includes a 64kB EEPROM, which can also be used to hold
    program names and offsets and such.  Barry did not have the luxury
    of working with the EEPROM, as it was added late in the design, so
    perhaps a V2 of the menu app could use that instead. (it is also
    there to save high scores and such)

Jim

www.go4retro.com
store.go4retro.com