[Coco] SDC Question

Tim Fadden t.fadden at cox.net
Fri Apr 28 13:16:00 EDT 2017

Curtis,

You can use CoCo SDC Utilities by Barry Nelson to see/mount/unmount disk
images from OS9/Nitros9.
It has a couple of idiosyncrasies (IE, gets confused about sdc disks,
and real floppies with certain usage) which can be managed, but works
pretty well.

On 4/28/2017 9:50 AM, L. Curtis Boyle wrote:
> Sorry for the late reply (been busy with the Fest, work, and a ton of driving).
> Basically, I have a 128 MB NitrOS-9 virtual hard drive image that I use on a real Coco 3, using the CocoSDC. I would like to, from within NitrOS-9 itself, access the floppy DSK images as well, but I don’t see anything in the docs about how to mount/change floppy DSK images while still remaining on the hard drive boot. I also wouldn’t mind technical docs on how to do things on the SDC card, so I can make utilities in NitrOS-9 to mount, create, etc. DSK images, directories, etc. (If all of that is possible). Also, I don’t know if it will mount a PC style disk image (512 byte sectors) and allow either the PCDOS utility or the MSF file manager/SDisk 3 disk driver combo to directly access the PC files on such a virtual disk. I can do all of this on real floppies under NitrOS-9 (and what I have been doing so far is copying to/from real floppies as an interim step to move files between the CocoSDC floppy images and the NtirOS-9 hard drive DSK image), but would love to this all without leaving NitrOS-9 at all.
>

> L. Curtis Boyle
> curtisboyle at sasktel.net
>

>> On Apr 25, 2017, at 5:47 AM, Robert Gault <robert.gault at att.net> wrote:
>>
>> L. Curtis Boyle wrote:
>>> I have a question for you - can one boot NitrOS-9 from a hard drive image (which I have already done), but then access one's floppy images (both RSDOS and OS-9), from within Nitros9 itself?
>>>
>> I have available a program HRSDOS that works with real RGBDOS scsi systems and presumably will with HDBDOS. It accesses both real Basic floppies and virtual Basic floppies on the hard drive.
>> http://aaronwolfe.com/robert.gault/Coco/Sales/Flyer.htm
>>
>> I have a similar program that works with emulators that essentially is emudsk by Alan DeKok modified to access the RGBDOS Basic partition of a .vhd drive. However, this program VEMUDSK just works with OS-9 floppies in the Basic partition. It provides a simple method for altering your OS9Boot file if on a virtual floppy.
>>
>> What do you actually need?
>>
>> Robert
>>

>> --

Tim Fadden
"Hey Schmidt, don't forget about the six P's.
Proper Preparation Prevents Piss-Poor Performance!"