[Coco] Which do you prefer and why? CoCo 1/2/3

Mark McDougall msmcdoug at iinet.net.au
Wed Apr 26 20:53:27 EDT 2017

On 26/04/2017 12:41 PM, John Lochey via Coco wrote:

> I'm wondering the "CoCo Demographic" on this list.
> Which machine do you primarily use and why?
> CoCo 1/2/3?

Wow, a lot of interesting and unexpected answers thus far! :O

Whilst I owned a grey Coco 1 back in the day (which unfortunately I no
longer have) there's no question that my favourite would is the Coco 3,
purely because of the superior capabilities. I also now own a
non-working Coco 2 that I'm yet to take out of the box it came in.

My Coco 3 is one of the few retro-machines that isn't currently packed
away and sits on my desk connected to a 1084S monitor. I have the Cloud9
512KB (SIMM) upgrade, CocoSDC and Sega adapter. Eyeing off the Triad and
ProTector+/6309.

I also have, and use, a DE1 with Ed's Analogue Board running Coco3FPGA.

I've also implemented my own Coco1/2 core on the DE1, running stock
HDBDOS (IDE) accessing the (read-only) SD card. I don't currently use
this core for anything, mainly because I've been too lazy to get writes
working on the SD card core I'm using. Otherwise, AFAIK, it's a
fully-functional core, and should run Fahrfall, for instance (I really
need to buy a copy)!?!

I tend to use emulators for development, Coco3FPGA whenever I need a
portable Coco3 setup, and real hardware for serious game playing!

Regards,

--
Mark McDougall
<http://retroports.blogspot.com.au>