[Coco] Which do you prefer and why? CoCo 1/2/3

Deny Wilson deny.wilson at gmail.com
Wed Apr 26 11:17:52 EDT 2017

When I was a kid, I got a 16K CoCo 2 for Christmas one year. It eventually
got an upgrade to 64K and a CCR-81 for storage. Picked up a DMP-105 from a
friend when his family moved on to the Tandy 1000. I never had ECB, but
man, did I ever want it. A friend of mine had a CoCo 3 and I did want that
but I never got one. Eventually I moved on to IBM PC's, and sold all my
CoCo 2 stuff.

When I finally got a really good paying job, I started picking up all the
stuff from my youth that I missed, or wished I had. So I picked up a 64K
CoCo 2 (I think it has ECB) and a 128K CoCo 3 which I upgraded to 512K. I
picked up some disk drives, a tape drive, an MPI (need to pick up theat
CoCo 3 compatible chip from Cloud-9 one of these days), a DMP-105, the
regular black joysticks and a couple of white Deluxe Joysticks. I never was
able to pick up a monitor for it. Also, around this time, I picked up an
Apple IIgs with all the trimmings, 3 Intellivisions and 3 Colecovisions all
when I was making the big bucks. I'm still kicking myself for not buying an
Amiga from eBay back in the day because it was "too expensive". Yeah, it
was chump change compared to what they go for now. I'm eying up the MIST
now instead. FPGAs are amazing for the retro hobby.