[Coco] VCC Path to .INI

James Ross jrosslist at outlook.com
Wed Apr 19 21:00:19 EDT 2017

Luis Fernández wrote:

> I was just waiting for you, ...

I wouldn’t do that. If you do, you might be “waiting” a whole lot more than “doing”. My advice is, at this stage anyway is – do your thing.  Push your code.

> want to be able to discuss how to do several things.

Discussing how to do something is easier when a person can see what you’re trying to do. Otherwise, it’s difficult to know exactly what you are talking about. Have you ever asked a question on StackOverflow? What is the first thing they will ask (almost) every time? What have you tried? Show us the code. If, have to explain how to do something from scratch, with nothing to go on – I might as well do it myself, and be done.

If you are just talking about coordinating and that’s all, you already know-how to do something, again – just do it, don’t ask questions first. Do it, and push your code.

> Do you have any improvement besides keeping the look?

Not sure I understand. Can you explain?

> I can do the direct extraction and pushed, but I would like to
> discuss if the method you use is correct

Well.. you and I both have a lot to learn about GitHub.  All I can say, if we might be both stumbling on the dark until we figure it out.

git pull / fetch to keep up-to-date with the upstream
git add / commit your local changes
git-push / update your fork.

those are the basics -- if you learn those commands … we can go from there.  (I'm still learning too)

But, I think if we establish a pattern, and learn how to collaborate using GitHub, #1) we can use that on our resumes #2) perhaps others will get interested in participating. #3) perhaps even the eventual re-write of VCC, if it happens, can be done this way with multiple participating.

> it's a bit straightforward, without asking for the AppData
> container
> I can also use the registry, and the AppData setting

Again -- I can't really follow your question w/o something to go on ... I need to see what you are doing.

> I can not use Winuser.h?, I lose VS6 compatibility?

Not necessarily – I’ll have to check into that. Winuser.h is there, but not sure about what all “user directories” SDK’s were available back then.

BUT – let’s say you wrote some good code that depended on Windows XP or above and more modern Win32 SDK’s – I will bend over backwards to use #defines and #if defines to accommodate. So that if someone is running on Windows 98 it works one way, on Windows XP another… etc.  I don’t see a problem w/ that.

Alternately, I could modify your code and make it work w/ VS6.

> For example, when making this change, we become more
> dependent on windows, since these special directories are only windows.

Not a problem. Win32 SDK (no other SDK). This "fork" (i.e. VCC-Classic) is for Windows only.

I personally have no intention of making it multi-platform. If so, I would be starting over from scratch.

> And I have already seen that for the keyboard configuration,
> (that I am doing in this mmento) there will be more dependence on windows.

Ditto.

> ... questions about keyboard configuration and international keyboards ...

Just do what you can. At this stage of the game, there is no wrong or write.

> and I do not want to ask a lot of
> windows because it makes me dependent on it

Not a problem. Win32 SDK only.