[Coco] CocoRPi3 update

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Fri Apr 14 11:23:34 EDT 2017

On Friday 14 April 2017 10:36:52 John Guin wrote:

> A fellow did a comparison of 12 different cards here
> https://www.jeffgeerling.com/blogs/jeff-geerling/raspberry-pi-microsd-
>card and has some data in a table format if you are interested.

> cards and the slightly-more-expensive ones..."
>
> I checked my local Fred Meyer last weekend and the difference between
> the cheap and the expensive 32GB cards was $3.
>
> Looking forward to this!
> John

[huge snip]

I would also point out that the SamSung class 10, 32Gb is the best of the
lot in my experience.  In my work on a raspberry pi-3b, I thought I had
better see about making an image of what I had, using around 7Gb of a
32Gb micro-sd card, I bought the working samsung in and copied it to a
class 10 sandisk of 32Gb. Put it in the pi's socket, much longer to boot
the armhf version of debian jessie. less than 10 edits of the 2 config
files for linuxcnc later, the card was dead. These files are presently
in the  5 to 10 kilobyte range for size. Put the samsung back in and
re-invented the wheel I was working on, then cloned it to the 2nd
sandisk card I had bought at the same time. 3 days later that card was
toast. Put the SamSung back in it. That was in January, and I'm still
developing on it. No hiccups, the SamSung Just Works(TM) where $30+
worth of sandisk was gone almost before my coffee was cold. I think
amanda is backing it up every night, claims it is, so when this card
dies from overwriting, I'll just re-install jessie on a new micro-sd
card, install amanda and recover.  But it won't be to a sandisk. Might
be to an even bigger SamSung, because in these cards, bigger means
longer life in write cycles.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)