[Coco] VCC Update

James Ross jrosslist at outlook.com
Thu Apr 13 20:22:46 EDT 2017

Mathieu Chouinard said:

> Hi,
> I was thinking of trying to go the Qt/SDL2 route for VCC
> Mathieu

Hey, I say: more power to you Mathieu!

If you do it, and make your progress public (by committing often on GitHub) which is optional of course, who knows? I could possibly chip in and stop working on the Windows version only.

--> These are just few comments to whomever might be following this thread:

I think that the idea of collaborating on an open-source project like this, online, in the open, is a new and foreign concept to a lot of us – I know it is to me.

And it is probably counter intuitive to us old-timers.

The key is there really truly is NO leader.  No one saying, you do this – you do that.

Each person does their own thing.  Period.

If I am working off your fork/branch and I add something / change something and I request a “pull request” to you – if you don’t like it, you can reject the request or accept it.

And visa-versa – if you’re working off my fork/branch and make a pull request – I can reject it or accept it.

Furthermore, whomever accepts the other’s pull request can then make changes to their changes.

We could literally have dozens of branches (perhaps not so realistic in a small community like ours) – what you will see is that in reality, only one in the end will survive.

I know that not all open-source project work this way – but I’d bet good money that many a branch has gone through this kind of thing before being merged into the main “upstream” branch.

It’s really a matter of those of us that want to work on this becoming proficient at Git and communicating through comments to the commits and comments to pull requesting etc … and learning that mechanism of communication.

I also thinking that making notes and document what one is doing would probably help A LOT!

I also don’t see a problem of having multiple versions emerge either.

Like Bill said -- start a clone, make some changes and we'll see what works...

James