[Coco] Tcp off-loading on CoCo

Mark D. Overholser marko555.os2 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 12 18:50:08 EDT 2017

On 12-Apr-17 11:06, Aaron Wolfe wrote:
> There are options like the "Adafruit Feather M0 WiFi - ATSAMD21 +
> ATWINC1500":  https://www.adafruit.com/product/3010
>
> That is only one example.. I've used a few variations on this theme of
> "some arduino compatible processor" + "some wifi chip".   This one
> does support TLS, SSL, and afaik all the modern things.
>
> Since all of these boards are (mostly) compatible via open source
> libraries etc, the same control software would work on several
> devices, maybe with small changes but most of this is abstracted out
> by networking and serial I/o libraries etc.
>
> You could implement a standard (or non standard, if it helps) serial
> port on a few IO pins and talk to the coco via bitbanger, or better
> use SPI onto the coco bus somehow, or anything really.  Then you'd
> have communication between whatever code you're running on the
> arduino-like cpu and the coco, and the same processor can use network
> library calls and do the SSL etc for you.

Theoretically, a Microcontroller with SPI and I2C Support could be
connected to the CoCo's Data and Address Bus, and act as a Smart Device.

> I don't know where you (or anyone lol :) draws the line between whats
> a network card and whats another computer, but the arduino + network
> chip idea would be instant on, or very nearly.  Plus it wouldn't tie
> you to one chipset or board... still kind of one "family" but there
> are options at least.

Very True...

> $0.02
> -Aaron

I am interested in Networking older 8-bit Computers, so as to make
Networked Games..  Currently I am working on getting the CoCo Bit-Banger
Port working with a Lantronix UDS-10..

MarkO