[Coco] RAM expansion options for the CoCo 3

L. Curtis Boyle curtisboyle at sasktel.net
Tue Apr 11 16:29:04 EDT 2017

A light correction on the use of 128K - If you use the Coco 3 mode graphics, those are all outside of the 32K of “normal” BASIC RAM. The screens themselves take up to 30K, and the HGET/HPUT buffers come out of that extra RAM as well - so a large BASIC program running in the highest Coco 3 graphics modes, using get/put buffers, can easily take more than 64K.

Re: 1MB and 2MB RAM upgrade under OS-9 - the patches were very small (and are all built into NitrOS-9, so you don’t need patches at all for that) - basically just to allow 128 or 256 MMU blocks (instead of 64 Max), and to force high resolution screen allocation to fall on 512K RAM boundaries (a screen can’t split between 512k RAM chunks). Other than that, all programs ran without modification, and it was great running a large enough RAM drive to use as a 720K disk (and backup a full 3.5” 720K disk in one pass).

But Bruce is absolutely right on that they are rare. And they were not easy to install - you had the RAM boards themselves (like the standard 512K ones), but also a DAT daughterboard that had to be soldered to the CPU. The regular 512k boards just required unplugging the 4 old 128K chips, moving some jumpers, and snipping a capacitor or two.

L. Curtis Boyle
curtisboyle at sasktel.net

TRS-80 Color Computer Games website
http://www.lcurtisboyle.com/nitros9/coco_game_list.html