[Coco] Replacement power switch for coco3?

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Thu Apr 6 20:16:27 EDT 2017

On Thursday 06 April 2017 19:40:45 Tim Fadden wrote:

> Well, isn't that funny, The way you described the AT&T 3B2 is how they
> work now.
> Around and around it goes where it stops nobody knows!
>
> Tim

In case you missed it Tim, we at WDTV-5  had one of those for several
years, and if it had to be unplugged from the wall everytime it caught
fire, I would have binned it loooong before CBS did. Running 24/7 as a
message service at the CBS affiliates, the average time to a room full
of smoke burnup was around 8 or 9 months. Good thing CBS had a service
contract, but I think the 3b2 must have cost them money.  The service
guys did the absolute minimum to restore its heartbeat.  New cooling
fan? Its running, no. Running at 10% of its normal speed wasn't a good
excuse to replace it.

> On 4/6/2017 3:39 PM, Bill Gunshannon wrote:
> > From: Coco [coco-bounces at maltedmedia.com] on behalf of Dave
> > Philipsen [dave at davebiz.com] Sent: Thursday, April 6, 2017 6:10 PM
> > To: CoCoList for Color Computer Enthusiasts
> > Subject: Re: [Coco] Replacement power switch for coco3?
> >
> > Of course almost all of our cellphone chargers and laptop power
> > suplies, and etc, etc,  are guilty of the same thing.
> >
> > Yes, but times (and codes) have changed.  Another system from that
> > era was the AT&T 3B2.  Originally it had a switch that turned the
> > system on thru the motherboard and the "OFF" position sent a signal
> > to the motherboard to powerdown so that the SYSV Unix could shutdown
> > cleanly.  The government ordered all of them changed to have an
> > on/off switch that physically cut the power when pushed.  I was
> > working with a number of them that had to be "upgraded" by the boys
> > from Bell Labs.
> >
> > bill
>
> --
> Tim Fadden
> "Hey Schmidt, don't forget about the six P's.
> Proper Preparation Prevents Piss-Poor Performance!"

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)