[Coco] What does it mean to be a member of the CoCo community?

Salvador Garcia salvadorgarciav at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 5 12:10:10 EDT 2017

My 2 cents …

  - Is there ahierarchy to it?

Yes, but the hierarchyis implied. No one steps up and says “I’m the boss”. This seem more like a reallife community where everyone asks, replies, and learns. The group has adiverse skill set and from what I’ve seen, is always ready to share and teach.

  - Is there areluctance to accept "newcomers"

  - How do theveterans feel about newcomers

These can be combined.From what I’ve seen, the community has always been very enthusiastic to receivenew people. The Color Computer may be the common denominator amongst us, but itis the camaraderie that is the real uniting force. I feel very comfortable askingquestions here, even those not directly related to the CoCo.

I am not sure whatqualifies as a veteran. My first use of the CoCo was back in the early 80s whenthe CoCo I came out, although I stopped using it from roughly 1987 to 2010. Onthe other hand, I have almost never tinkered with its electronics, other thanbuilding a Composite Video Out for the CoCo I that I found (I just saw this inthe Turn of the Screw that was referenced recently). I never got it to work,but it made a good radio :-/.

Whether I am considered aveteran or not, I totally welcome newcomers. I see the Coconuts as anendangered species. Anyone that develops an interest in the CoCo and joins thecommunity, in my book, is a godsend! People might ask why bother with obsoletetechnology? That is like asking why bother with history? Yes, we now havepowerhouse computers that fit in our pockets. The new use is the “swipe”. Asmuch as we should appreciate and be happy with the technology that we enjoytoday, we also need to understand where that technology came from and appreciate the efforts of thehistoric figures that made it possible.

  - What are the"requirements" to be "accepted" or be deemed"legitimate"

Show up! Say hi. Benice.

  - Is there anactual "Great divide" between OS9 and RS-DOS?

Yes, although I wouldinclude NitrOS9. I’ve seen a divide amongst the three groups. But then, eachone of us picks their environment. It does not make it a better choice thansomeone else. Even so, I see lots of cooperation and respect within thecommunity. There may be a divide, but there are also lots of bridges.

The three platforms offerbenefits that satisfies each group. *OS9 offers flexibility and advanced featureswhile RS-DOS offers simplicity and ease of use. I see a win-win scenario thatis not exclusive at all.

Salvador