[Coco] Coco2 video

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Fri Jul 29 14:33:11 EDT 2016

The Coco 2s with the motherboard model number ending in "2B" are the models with the true lowercase. They were the last Coco 2s built before the release of the Coco 3.
The lowercase was never supported by RSDOS, even on the Coco 3 which "featured" true lowercase, though OS9 (L1 & L2) supported lowercase on all Cocos, even as "reverse text" on the originals.
There were several "fixes" that allowed true lowercase in RSDOS (ADOS comes to mind), as well as a hardware fix to make it permanent, but very few programs ever used it due to Tandy's "backwards compatability" policy.
The older Cocos "could" be refitted with "6847T1" chip, but it's not an easy task. The chips have different pinouts and things have to be added to make it work. There was 2 Rainbow articles on the 6847T1 chip & mod.
Rainbow Sep '86 "Turn Of The Screw" - "A Look At The Coco 2B" - page 125
Rainbow Oct '86 "Turn Of The Screw" - "Hardware Fix For The VDG" - page 161

Bill Pierce

Co-Contributor, Co-Editor for CocoPedia
http://www.tandycoco.com/forum/

E-Mail: ooogalapasooo at aol.com