[Coco] Project Sneak Peek

Nick Marentes nickma at optusnet.com.au
Thu Jul 21 04:13:34 EDT 2016

On 21/07/2016 12:30 PM, Darren A wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 20, 2016 at 6:26 PM, Andrew wrote:
>
>> What is the entire purpose of the ATMega328 on the board?
>
> It implements the major functions of the device:
>
> Manages FAT16/32 file system on the SD card.
> Handles requests for virtual hard drive sector I/O.
> Emulation of WD1773 and WD2797 floppy controllers.
> 300 RPM index pulse for floppy drive emulation.
> Handles requests to set or retrieve RTC data.
> Loads ROM image files from SD Card into the 32K SRAM.
> Generates single-channel PWM output from 8-bit audio samples.
>
> - Darren

That's a lot of versatility from that Microcontroller. I can see why you
only had 1 pin free.

The PWM is a good option then. Better than nothing.

So what sort of sound can this do that saves CPU time?

Can it be made to play a complete sound sample automatically?

Can it play notes for music with little CPU overhead?

Nick