[Coco] VCC hdbdw3bc3.rom files

Salvador Garcia salvadorgarciav at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 7 17:55:23 EDT 2016

I would like to share my experience as a first time serious user of VCC 2.01b. First of all, I am familiar with the CoCo and have used a real CoCo I in the past, plus I have been reading almost all of the posts here, so while I do not have much hands on experience, I am not totally ignorant in matter relating to the CoCo :-).
My first experience with VCC was with 1.43b. I installed it, ran a Hello World program, was happy and limited my tinkering with it. This time around I had more motivation to see how it works with DriveWire 4 and at this time I want to learn more about VCC, its inner workings, external media (i.e. floppies and hard drives), DriveWire, and the DriveWIre protocol.
>From a perspective of a first time DW4/VCC user here are some thoughts:
I downloaded VCC 2.01b and installed it successfully. Remarks on this list and in the VCC doc indicated that the Becker port was now a plug in virtual cartridge. I understood that I needed to connect the virtual MPI and the the virtual Becker cartridge to it. I downloaded DW4 and followed instructions. No problem there. I read over the instructions for VCC (on the DW wiki), but these are for v143b and did not apply to v2.01b.
On reading the VCC 2.01b doc I extracted the most vital information which was basically that the Becker cartridge needed to be plugged in, but should not be selected. I also saw the reference that VCC would automatically load the hdbdos rom when the Becker cartridge was plugged in.
>From the doc:
VCC User's Guide, page 29To use the Becker Port cart and DW4, you will need to use this feature tomount the “hdbdw3bc3.rom” image, and check “External Rom Image”.
Page 31The Becker port will automatically attempt to load the “hdbdw3bc3.rom” file from the VCC 2.0.1program folder.
Page 29 explicitly lists hdbdw3bc3.rom, so I went with that.
Since page 31 mentioned the above I figured that it automatically did what was mentioned on page 29, so I ignored the comment on that page and I did not do anything further. When I tested I did not have any communication with the DW4 server. When I saw that it did not work, I went ahead and followed the above page 29 indication. After this it simply worked like a charm. I had already defined the ip port using the DriveWire Server config.
Where I dropped the ball catastrophically was in not reading the VCC doc to the end, where the different HDB DOS ROM images are described clearly and concisely. It was only after I saw Bill's comment, "and which IS explained in the VCC manual" that I went back and reread all of the doc, feeling rather idiotic when I found the information that answered my original question.
So far this has been a revealing experience and am blown away by the complexity of both DW4 and VCC. I still have questions, but will do more REE* before I ask here. In any case, there is so much that I don't doubt that I'll end up asking something that is documented, but I'd rather feel like an idiot for asking then to feel like an idiot for not asking :-D. Again, thanks all for your help. Salvador
*REE Research, Exploration & Experimentation.