[Coco] Space Invaders - Translated from Intel 8080 to Motorola 6809 for the CoCo 3

Glen Hewlett glen.hewlett at sympatico.ca
Mon Dec 26 16:05:11 EST 2016

Hi All,

Over the last month or so I’ve been translating the original Intel 8080 Arcade version of Space Invaders in a line by line translation to the 6809.  I have it to the point where it will play just like the arcade machine except no sound and like the original you have to rotate the monitor to play it properly.  Or use it with MAME with the -rol option.

I wrote up a full description on my blog here:
https://nowhereman999.wordpress.com/2016/12/26/space-invaders-cpu-transcoded-from-intel-8080-to-motorola-6809-for-the-trs-80-color-computer-3/ <https://nowhereman999.wordpress.com/2016/12/26/space-invaders-cpu-transcoded-from-intel-8080-to-motorola-6809-for-the-trs-80-color-computer-3/>

As the Blog says… I’ve also included the source code to the program in ‘C’ that I wrote to help with the Translation from 8080 to 6809 and also the working translated 6809 CoCo 3 Space Invaders source code (and a binary and .dsk version ready to use).  I uploaded the .ZIP file to the TRS-80 Color Computer Archive website.

I hope others find this useful and maybe they can complete this version to be rotated properly for a CoCo 3 and maybe add sound…

Cheers,
Glen

Ps. - I have only tested this using MAME as my current CoCo 3 floppy drive isn’t working.  :(