[Coco] Patched Lyra to send midi to Drivewire?! Where!

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Thu Dec 22 10:43:13 EST 2016

Bruce, I think I misunderstood your email. I noticed the subject AFTER I sent my reply.
If you're asking where to get the DriveWire version of Lyra, then you will find it on my site (linked below).
There are a few things needed to be able to use this feature. First, you need to be running HDBDOS. HDBDOS allows communication to the DW4 server and that's where LyraDW sends it's MIDI data.
Second, you'll need a "softsynth" on your PC. If you are running any Winodws version from Vista and above, you should
automatically" have Microsoft's WaveTable Synth installed. If you are running Java 6 or greater, then Java also has a softsynth installed. There are many free softsynths availble for download that have incredible sound. Google "Coolsoft VirtualMIDIsynth" and you'll find an excellent synth.
Third is "conversion" to "General MIDI". If your old songs were written for the synths of the 80s, then you'll most likely want to convert them to General MIDI. In most cases, this envolves just simply changing the instrument numbers in Lyra. This will have to be done for each song.

There is also a version of Lyra further extended to use the Becker Port for playing MIDI through DW4 with Coco emulators and the Coco3FPGA. I use all of the above regularly and can help if needed.

Here's the link:
https://sites.google.com/site/dabarnstudio/lyra

Bill Pierce

Co-Contributor, Co-Editor for CocoPedia