[Coco] Printing from Disk Extended Color Basic (via Drivewire)

Francis Swygert farna at att.net
Thu Dec 22 08:08:14 EST 2016

I wish I hadn't stopped programming so many years ago... of course I only did some DECB stuff, never got into any higher level languages, though I could modify some C code with good instructions... well, at least I could follow the code. Don't think I can do that now!
Anyway... what would really be nice is a small controller (like an Arduino, one of the little stick computers, or even a Raspberry Pi...) programmed to take printer output from a CoCo serial port, emulating a common Epson MX series printer, and output it to a modern dumb USB printer. If cost could be kept to close to what a serial to parallel adapter would cost. Such converters (usually RS232 25 pin in, parallel out... some bi directional, like this one -- Serial to Parallel Port Converters - B&B Electronics)  are still available for industrial use, at about $100-150. There are still a few 9 and 24 pin full size printers on the market for industrial/commercial use, like the $220 Epson LX-350 (http://www.bluecowoffice.com/Products/Epson-LX-350-Dot-Matrix-Printer---Monochrome__EPSC11CC24001.aspx -- can get it a little cheaper at NewEgg, but they didn't have complete specs listed). The best thing is the LX-350 HAS A SERIAL INTERFACE BUILT IN!!. So no adapter needed, just a cable.

I still think an Arduino with emulation and USB output would be very versatile. Could use with ANY printer, even laser printers. There is the possibility of making all kinds of features available, but basic emulation of the Epson MX series would allow any CoCo program to print to almost any printer...

|   |
Serial to Parallel Port Converters - B&B Electronics
 Convert data from a parallel port to serial communication. Connect between a computer and printer without any mo...  |   |

 Frank Swygert
 Fix-It-Frank Handyman Service
 803-604-6548