[Coco] Nitros9 and Smartwatch

piperfox74 piperfox74 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 19:49:57 EST 2016

Robert,

The Disto Mini Controller has two 28-pin sockets. There are three jumpers on the board, but I don’t know what they do since I do not have a manual for this controller. FWIW, the existing DECB ROM in slot 1 is 28-pin, and my custom ADOS 3 ROM is 28-pin, and both work fine.

<rant on>
Regarding software and documentation, I find it a bit odd to argue that any piece of software, no matter how simple, “does not need documentation”. I’d say a pervasive attitude like that in the community could turn away newcomers. I’ve been away from the CoCo seen for a very long time, and I was quite young back in the ‘80s and ‘90s when I was heavily into these computers. I’m eager to get back in, learn as much as I can, and help out others if possible, but the overall lack of consistent documentation for all of the new toys (especially DriveWire and Nitros-9) make this endeavor more of a struggle than it perhaps needs to be.

Regarding the Smartwatch integration in Nitros-9. All I could find was the repository disk image smartwatch.dsk with three executables: getclk, swread and swset. No documentation at all. How is a newcomer supposed to know how these work, and know there’s “no good reason to use getclk”?

I’m not meaning this to sound like I’m jumping on you. I appreciate your help, as I appreciate this entire community of bright, eager people looking to keep the CoCo alive as long as possible. I’m just hoping to express that focusing a bit on documentation and covering those topics that the “old timers” consider common knowledge or too simple to document might encourage more participation and help bring in new people to the community.
<rant off>, and thank you!

Christopher