[Coco] [SPAM] Re: [SPAM] Re: Re Links Broken or Down

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Tue Sep 22 02:50:48 EDT 2015

On Monday 21 September 2015 23:48:49 Plt at freemail2.com wrote:

> Hello
>
> I am booting nitro os9 that I download from the following site:
> > http://sourceforge.net/projects/nitros9/files/releases/v3.3.0/disks/
> >nos96309l2v030300coco3_becker.dsk/download

> > http://sourceforge.net/projects/nitros9/files/releases/v3.3.0/disks/
> >nos96809l2v030300coco3_becker.dsk/download
>
> Some one gave me a copy of the nitro os9 harddrive image and it boots
> fine if I am using the boot disk that he gave me but it will not boot
> from the dsk you that was provided in the link included above.
>

> Phil Taylor

Phil, I know this is frustrating, but please follow along with me.

Since nitros9 shows a trace output of module names as it finds the
modules in the os9boot file, and then outputs a single character
indicating a particular success as it executes the various bits and
pieces up to initiating a shell to execute the startup files, is it
possible in your setup to capture or even hand copy this output from the
screen and send it to the list so that someone more familiar with the
becker setup can analyze it and determine where and what is failing?

At the failure point will be a * followed by another character, which if
the 8 bit was set in, and that converted to the decimal equ, represents
the error number encountered.

But we need that trace, every character in it, copied to this list.

I am also puzzled by your continual claim that the links supplied are bad
links.  Some windows download programs do not know what to do with a
pure binary file, and will modify the file on the fly, changing what it
thinks are line endings in the incoming file so that a linefeed is added
after any carraige returns encountered.  So you are then suffering from
extremely defective downloads.  Downloads that may be several bytes
longer on your hard drive, than the were reported to be by the site you
downloaded the files from.  Thats your big red flag that your download
utility is screwing you.  Change it, or find its binary switch to add to
the download invocation.  We've all looked at that as being done on
purpose by M$ to discourage pirating of their own software, and to M$,
no other software is even legal to use if they didn't write it.  Its not
a problem here because this is a linux house, no M$ software is allowed
on the premises.  Every machine here (5 of them, 4 running 24/7) is
running linux.

So you need to either find the "binary" option and use it to get these
disk images, or change the utility you are using to pull those images to
your machine to one that does this downloading completely transparent
and verbatum.

But please, give us that trace from the screen as it tries to boot.
Unforch, how that works in the becker flavor I don't know, never ran it
on anything but real coco's, but hopefully someone can supply the howto
when using that port of nitros9.

> On Sep 21, 2015, at 11:13 PM, Aaron Wolfe <aawolfe at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> http://sourceforge.net/projects/nitros9/files/releases/v3.3.0/disks
> >>/nos96309l2v030300coco3_becker.dsk/download

> >> http://sourceforge.net/projects/nitros9/files/releases/v3.3.0/disks
> >>/nos96809l2v030300coco3_becker.dsk/download

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)