[Coco] Run of RGB2VGA boards

Salvador Garcia ssalvadorgarcia at netscape.net
Tue Sep 15 09:10:02 EDT 2015

Well, at least they rhyme! :-)

Salvador

-----Original Message-----
From: Zippster <zippster278 at gmail.com>
To: CoCoList for Color Computer Enthusiasts <coco at maltedmedia.com>
Sent: Tue, Sep 15, 2015 7:34 am
Subject: Re: [Coco] Run of RGB2VGA boards

Definitely.  Flux is absolutely critical.

It’s the difference between success
and a horrible mess.

- Ed

<retrocanada76 at gmail.com> wrote:

> And good flux :)
>
> Sent from my
iPhone

<mmarlette at frontiernet.net> wrote:

>> Steven
>>

>> To add to what Ed
has said below.

>> The term is called capillary action.

Regards

From:"Zippster" <zippster278 at gmail.com>
>> Date:Mon, Sep 14, 2015 at 7:53 PM

>> Hi Steven,
>>
>> You just have
to touch the tip of the soldering iron to your solder to get a small amount
on
>> the tip.  It doesn’t take much.  The flux applied to the pins before hand
keeps the solder from
>> getting “sticky”, and the surface tension of the molten
metal pulls the excess off of the pins.

>> It’s actually surprisingly easy
once you get used to it.  The hardest part ends up being aligning the
>> chip
before tacking the corners.  I found it nerve-wracking and frustrating at first,
going with my
>> first instinct, which was to try and precision solder
individual pins.  But after learning drag-soldering
>> it’s just as easy (or
even easier) than through-hole pin-for-pin.

Sep 2015, Zippster wrote:

> [...]
RGB2VGA SE boards, including some information on setup and use, and the
differences between the SE and original (which are very minor).  There’s not too
much there yet, but it shows how to connect the ribbon cable and explains the
dip switches for CoCo3 use.

>>> Looks nice, Ed.
>>>
>>> On a slightly
related subject, I just watched your video demonstration of flat-pack SMD
soldering.  Question:  Where is the solder coming from? And, how is the
soldering iron pulling excess solder off of the pins? Never seen anything like
it.  My adventures with this sort of thing involve burned fingers, shameful
language and a lot of solder wick to get rid of bridges.

--
Coco mailing
list
Coco at maltedmedia.com