[Coco] A Newbie’s Thoughts on the 24th Annual “Last” Chicago CocoFest 2015

Salvador Garcia ssalvadorgarcia at netscape.net
Fri May 8 18:15:20 EDT 2015

Great article Brian!

I can help you fill in the blanks regarding the programming contest.

In fact, there were two contests:

1. Creating a BASIC program that would run in the DTSS BASIC emulator
2. Creating a program that would run in the CoCo I with 4K

I do not know what happened to the CoCo 4K programming challenge, but i can shed some light on the DTSS BASIC programming contest...

There were three entries by John Mark Mobley, Kip Koon and myself, Salvador Garcia

John Mark's program solved a puzzle which consisted of calculating the child's and father's ages given that the grandfather's ages was
evenly divisible by the child's age for 5 )or was it 6) consecutive years.

Kip Koon's program graphically presented a sine wave onscreen (quite impressive)

My program implemented a simple text adventure game called maze which basically consisted of finding your way out of a maze.

My program won and I was awarded .. uh... wait... now that I think of it there were no prizes! I guess just the glory of programming like it was 1964 :-)

Salvador