[Coco] Just a thought

Al Hartman alhartman6 at optimum.net
Thu Mar 26 13:00:29 EDT 2015

I'd like to see a Coco version of the Replica I computer like Vince
Briel made.

Make a 100% clone of the Coco 2 or 3 (preferably the 3). Add VGA output,
PS/2 keyboard, real RS-232, and make sure there's an expansion connector
for us luddites to add a floppy controller or other things.

Then, from that base an enhanced Coco could be made.

Such a machine could be made to boot straight to NitrOS9 (to skip using
copyrighted Tandy/Microsoft ROMS), which would be interesting to those
users and expand the user-base.

What I'd like to see in a Coco 3 2.0 is:

- Integrated 80 Column card
- Integrated Floppy Controller
- Integrated CocoSDC
- Onboard Sound Chip (maybe a SID clone on an FPGA?)
- Onboard Ethernet for DW use
- PS/2 Mouse that can emulate Coco Mouse
- 2mb RAM

I think that would make a real nice machine.

-[ Al ]-