[Coco] 6 Chip ^809 Computer -> Kipper SBC

Kip Koon computerdoc at sc.rr.com
Sat Mar 14 00:06:13 EDT 2015

Hi Juan,
Unless a Drivewire driver has been written for the Motorola MC6850 ACIA chip, then another Drivewire driver will be needed.  The UART driver in the current Drivewire Repo is for the 6551 ACIA.  The typical crystal frequency used for the 6850 is a 1.8432MHZ crystal and with the choice of three divide by settings in the control register (/1, /16 and /64 with 16 choices for each one) making possible speeds up to and including 1.8432 Megabaud (1843200 Baud) if memory serves.  The best I have heard for the 6551 on the Coco is 19200 baud if I remember correctly though I have not tried it for myself.  I want to see an MC68B50 interfaced to the Coco 3 and the only PCB that I know of that had one was the LR-Tech Superboard that Kandur has.  Has Drivewire drivers been written for it Kandur?   I have a vision for a Multiple Serial port Pak using several Motorola MC68B50P chips that will allow for just such a setup.  I can hardly wait to get back to it, but with the current activities I'm involved with, it will be awhile.

Kip Koon
computerdoc at sc.rr.com