[Coco] MC10 guys feeling left out of the DIY discussion?

Darren A mechacoco at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 12:23:09 EDT 2015

On Thu, Mar 12, 2015 at 9:59 AM, Joe Grubbs <jsgrubbs at hotmail.com> wrote:

> All of the buzz surrounding Kip's cool little 6809 6 chip computer project
> made me wonder whether or not someone had produced a simple DIY 6803 based
> computer. Sure enough, someone has and it's pretty cool. I read this blog
> with great interest. He's actually using the 6303 in his circuit. And since
> these processors have a serial device/UART built in, that's one less set of
> components necessary for host communication.

I have been working on a small SBC that is an update to the MC-10.  I call
it the MC-11 because it is based on the 68HC11 rather than the 6803. The
HC11 instruction set is upward binary compatible with the 6803 so the plan
is for it to be able to run the vast majority of existing MC-10 programs
(what little there is).  The development tools and compilers available for
the HC11 should make writing new software much easier.

I spent most of last weekend just trying to figure out how to get the HC11
to share RAM with the 6847 VDG without producing any sparkles (no SAM chip
in this computer).  Next up will be to devise a PS2 keyboard interface
which can mimic the MC-10 hardware.

- Darren