[Coco] ROM -> BIN converter/loader

David Ladd davidwladd at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 16:40:39 EST 2015

On Thu, Mar 5, 2015 at 11:51 AM, Gustavo Ranaur Schoenaker <
ranaur at ranaur.net> wrote:

> While answering Vincent´s e-mail I had one idea. Theorically it is easy to
> do ... maybe it is a good project sometime ...
>
> Is it possible to convert a ROM file to .BIN? So you could load it through
> regular disks.

​This process is actually easy to do for the most part.  You can look in
the HDBDOS folder in the toolshed project and there are examples of how
this is done with HDBDOS ROM images.​

> The BIN file would have two parts: the bootstrap file followed by the "ROM"
> data. The bootstrap file would make:
>
> 1) Copy ROM to RAM and enable 64KB of memory
> 2) Copy the rest of the file to C000
> 3) JMP C000

​Simple ROM's yes could be done that way, but others might take some work
to convert to work this way.​

> Would it work? Did someone make this already? And survived to tell the
> tale? :-)

​Also see Arthur Flexser's email about some of these limitations. :D​