[Coco] Coco 2 64k - heat issue?

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Sun Jun 28 12:01:50 EDT 2015

I have a fan in my Coco 3 to cool down the 1-meg expansion. It's basicall the same fan you might find on a modern CPU. It's hooked directly to the supply, but I can't remember if it's 5 or 12 volt, but I think 5 volt. It's hooked after the power regulation circuit.
This works fine on a Coco 3 as the power drain from the MB is much less than the Coco 2 (newer chip technology). The Coco 2 has always had a "marginal" supply, so I suspect it would need external power for a fan.
As a note, my fan is located inside  the Coco, below the keyboard area on one of the bottom vents (left) and since I have a AT keyboard adapter, the keyboard has be replaced by a flat panel, so there's plenty of room. With a "flatter" fan, it would probably fit under the keyboard, but the keyboard would probably block the air flow to the memory board. All other vents are taped over (from the inside) except those over the memory board. The fan pulls air in through the bottom and forces it past the memory board and PS taking the heat out the vent above it. My Coco 3 is barely ever more than a little warm to the touch. The same goes for the 1-meg memory and PS. This Coco 3 is turned on every morning and usually runs most of the day and evening.

Bill Pierce

Co-Contributor, Co-Editor for CocoPedia
http://www.tandycoco.com/forum/

E-Mail: ooogalapasooo at aol.com