[Coco] sourceforge insurance

Richard E. Crislip rcrislip at neo.rr.com
Wed Jun 17 13:49:17 EDT 2015

On Tue, 16 Jun 2015 10:58:10 -0700
Steve Batson <steve at batsonphotography.com> wrote:

> Adding my 2 cents...
>
> From the discussion, I'm assuming this is mostly for OS9 stuff...is
> that true? I don't use OS9 currently, but that's not to say I won't
> at some point. Or is there other stuff here too?
>
> In any case, regardless of the content I completely agree with the
> idea of having backups, Multiples with different people in difference
> places just to be safe. Also having multiple on-line locations of the
> files in various locations is good too. As pointed out, no one knows
> what's going to happen to any of us or when. Having important stuff
> like this on someone's private computers/servers for anything other
> than backup is risky at best and not good for the community as a
> whole.
>
> How much storage are we talking about? Will the currently available
> free services hold it? Would the Glenside club be able setup a paid
> account if necessary and then people using these files can subscribe
> and help support it? The biggest issue for stuff like this is always
> to avoid single points of failure. If the data can be hosted in
> multiple locations with maybe a single place to make updates and then
> propagate out to several backups, that would seem the most sensible
> thing to do.
>
> I always like to see an organization, group or company run something
> like this as opposed to one or two people that could vanish
> overnight. When people go missing, not a lot can be done. If some
> type of organization is involved, someone else can usually step up
> when something happens to the person that is no longer able to do the
> job for whatever reason.
>

> On Jun 16, 2015, at 10:25 AM, Gene Heskett <gheskett at wdtv.com> wrote:
>
> > Greeting, Tormod, Boisy, Aaron
> >
> > Its apparent the new management at sourceforge is determined to
> > monetize whats there by any means.
> >
> > Major projects have forked & left, starting with GIMP.
> >
> > I think its about time we took some action to preserve our
> > repository in case it dissappears like several other have recently.
> >
> > To that end, I am thinking of doing a clone on a daily basis,
> > running 30 days deep since I have the drive space here.  IOW, what
> > I'd have here will be snapshots of the last 30 days, so we can
> > backup a week or more if we have to restore it someplace else.  The
> > clone is a complete copy from what I understand, each of which is
> > capable of standalone operation.
> >
> > Github charges a monthly fee for using their services, the
> > magnitude of which I don't know. But we all know someone has to pay
> > the electric bill, buy the bandwidth and service the machines.
> > Basically its TANSTAAFL folks and we may as well get used to it.
> >
> > But TBT, that probably ought to be done by someone both younger
> > than I, and more familiar with the inner workings of hg.  Sure, my
> > machine is sitting here doing not a lot more than handling my email
> > with a minimum of interaction from me.  And I am nowhere near the
> [...]
OK, My two cents...

If the consensus is to have backup locations, a decision and agreement
HAS to be made where the true as in MAIN file server is. If that doesn't
happen, folks will be down loading obsolete releases as has happened in
the past. I think Bill Perice fought that battle. If it thats the wrong
Bill I apologize.