[Coco] sourceforge insurance

Jens CoCoList at jensdiemer.de
Wed Jun 17 03:03:08 EDT 2015

In the past i also used SF and code.google.com...

code.google.com will close and offers a migration to github:

http://google-opensource.blogspot.de/2015/03/farewell-to-google-code.html

I would also prefer a service that use FLOSS tools. But i agree with "RETRO
Innovations". Important is, that you have full control of your stuff.

Some nice things on github:

* Very good community features
* "Pull Request" with conversations
* issue tracking
* conversations on commits/code lines
* "compare views"
* Web-Page service based on Git:
	https://pages.github.com/
* Releases are based on Git tags:
	https://help.github.com/articles/about-releases/
* good help pages: https://help.github.com

Some features explained here:
	https://github.com/features

Also very good: The Service hooks. Like continuous integration services.
e.g. I used Travis CI and coveralls.io here:

MC6809: https://github.com/6809/MC6809
Travis CI: https://travis-ci.org/6809/MC6809/
coveralls.io: https://coveralls.io/r/6809/MC6809

Don't know, maybe Travis CI and coveralls are also useable on SF?

Travis CI is very cool: If somebody fork and send a pull request on github: You
see if the unittests will pass or fail.

But the most important thing: All Features are more easily usable than SF.
SF offers more features but with poor user experience. Today it's better than in
the past, but far away from github.

It seems to me that github is the most used source code hosting service in the
FLOSS community. More than SF, bitbucket, Gitorious and all the others:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_source_code_hosting_facilities

--

Mfg.

Jens Diemer